[REVIEW + SPOILER] Rooftop Prince - 300 years of love.
Saturday, May 26, 2012 @ 4:36 AM
Hello readers :)
WARNING: If you have not finished watching Rooftop Prince and King 2 Hearts and would hit me for giving out spoilers, do not continue reading the passage. Thank you.
NOTE: Before you proceed with the Rooftop Prince's review the paragraph below is just merely a brief frustrating review on King 2 Hearts.)
Just a few hours ago I was very disappointed with King 2 Hearts and stopped watching halfway through it, because I just realized that although I watched the drama because of Lee Seunggi in the first place, it turned out that I actually like the second male lead as well, Eun Shi Kyung, who fall in love with Princess Lee Jae Shin. I watched it up until Episode 19 and wish to stop after Shi Kyung died, because there is no point of watching the ending. We all know that King Lee Jae Ha and Kim Hang Ah would get married and live happily ever after, and that bastard Club M's John Mayer/ Kim Bong Gu would be gone for good, either by death or something else.
Anyway, since I was really disappointed that my soldier, the love of my drama died (I still love Seunggi though, it's just that Shi Kyung's death just ruined my mood to watch the ending) I decided to watch the final episode of Rooftop Prince, hoping for a good and fantastic ending, and it incredibly is!
I wish I'm not a spoiler bitch but I just can't help it. I feel like writing a review about Rooftop Prince. It's been a while since I last wrote a review on kdrama series which I had given me the best impressions. If you see me writing a review, it means that I have actually listed the drama as my all-time favourite. So Rooftop Prince is one of them!
I could say, the ending was daebak, seriously. It was unimaginable, unexpected but happy. Unexpected because it was fantastic, full of fantasy! I really salute the writer of the drama because he has such a creative mind! The ending actually gives me a great impression in the drama and leaves a huge impact in my passion for korean drama series.
Honestly when I first watched the ending, I could not understand it. But after reading self-verified comments from fans I began to understand and find the drama incredibly wonderful!
I always wonder what happened to Park Ha and Crown Prince Lee Gak if he returns to Joseon and Park Ha remains at the present Seoul. It turns out that this whole drama is all about reincarnation. The riddle itself has given us the clue - the thing that lives when it's dead, and it's dead when it's alive, which is the rebirth symbol. Well I'm a muslim so I don't believe in reincarnation but given a little knowledge (after watching The Myth), I do know a bit about it so this makes me able to understand the drama.
What the writer wanted to show us is how Park Ha/Bu Yong and Tae Yong/Lee Gak were destined. Bu Yong died after eating poisonous dried persimmons. She confessed her love to Prince Lee Gak through a letter which was read by Lee Gak after her death. She wrote that she actually had loved Lee Gak all along and even after hundreds of years, she would still love him. Lee Gak realized that he loves Bu Yong and waited 300 years to be reincarnated and be together with Bu Yong (Park Ha). When he passed away, his reincarnation, Tae Yong, carries Lee Gak's soul in him, making him met Park Ha, the reincarnation of Bu Yong. So the two people (Bu Yong & Park Ha + Lee Gak & Tae Yong) are actually the same, they carry the same soul in them, one same soul, the soul from Joseon and was still living even after rebirth.
Of course, Lee Gak traveled to 300 years in time to discover the mystery of Crown Princess's murder but after living for a certain period of time in present Seoul, he discovered that the one who died floating at the pond was not actually the Crown Princess, but Bu Yong. When he return to Joseon, he punished those who were involved in an attempt to murder the Crown Prince which had caused the death of Bu Yong. Later, he found a love letter which was written by Bu Yong before her death (the one I talked about just now). In the letter she confessed her love to Lee Gak, making him realize that he had loved Bu Yong and the two of them would also love each other after 300 years.
This is proven by the first picture of Park Ha at New York City drawn by Tae Yong - means the love of the two actually exist in the 21st century, but the love was developed by Lee Gak and so when Tae Yong woke up, he has the memories of Lee Gak and could feel his love for Park Ha (explains the second postcard drawing by Tae Yong). This explains why Tae Yong was so straightforward with Park Ha when they had just spoken.
Tae Yong (Lee Gak)
Park Ha (Bu Yong)
In this drama, Park Ha did not suffer long because Lee Gak's soul was directed into Tae Yong's body. This explains why Tae Yong was temporarily dead/in a coma while Lee Gak was in present days and I'm sure that Tae Yong was dead because of Lee Gak's presence at the 21st century and woke up again after Lee Gak had returned to Joseon. It is sad though that Lee Gak has to live alone in Joseon (with memories of him and Park Ha) until he died in order to be reborn and be with reincarnated Bu Yong (Park Ha), while Bu Yong has to die in order to be born again (as Park Ha) and love Lee Gak (Tae Yong). These are actually the sacrifices that the two had made because of their love for each other. Their love remains after 300 years and they were finally together after 300 years.
THE WRITER HAD JUST WRITTEN AN AMAZING ROMANTIC STORY!!
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST KOREAN DRAMA SERIES I HAVE EVER WATCHED!! KUDOS TO THE WRITER AND DIRECTOR, YOOCHUN, HAN JI MIN AND OTHER ACTORS, CREW MEMBERS, YOU GUYS DID A SPLENDID JOB! (Y)